Lemon Swig Sugar Cookies
(photo and recipe from therecipecritic.com)
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- ¾ C Vegetable Oil
- 1¼ C Sugar (plus ¼ cup reserved)
- ¾ C Powdered Sugar
- 2 T Water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 Eggs
- ½ t Baking Soda
- ½ t Cream of Tarter
- 1 t Salt
- 5½ C Flour
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, vegetable oil, sugar (1¼ C), powdered sugar, and water. Add in lemon juice and lemon zest.. Add in eggs.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until combined. Roll the dough into golf sized balls and place onto a non stick cookie sheet.
- To give the cookies their signature rough edge, dip the bottom of a glass into the reserved ¼ cup sugar and press onto the cookie ball to flatten the cookie. You still want the cookie to be thicker so don’t press them to thin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom is lightly brown. The cookies stay soft so do not over bake.
- To make the lemon cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar. Beat until creamy.